“I came here, I didn’t feel so good, I feel better now. We’re working hard to recover,” Trump said from behind the suit office at Walter Reed Hospital in Bethesda, Maryland.
Pale, the president said: “I will be back, I think I will be back soon, and I am looking forward to finishing the campaign as I started it.”
The video comes after contradictory information about Trump’s health since he was hospitalized on Friday night, a few hours after he announced on Twitter that he and his first lady, Melania Trump, had contracted the virus.
Shortly after the video was released, Dr. Sean P. Conley said Trump no longer has a fever and is making substantial progress, but has not yet “escaped.”
A doctor on the medical team said Saturday morning that Trump’s condition is improving and that he is already talking about returning to the White House. A doctor said Trump told him, “I feel like I could get out of here today.”
Within minutes, White House chief of staff Mark Meadows gave reporters a less rosy assessment: “The president’s vital signs in the last 24 hours have been very worrying and the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of care. “We are not yet on a clear path to full recovery.”
Meadows, whose initial comments were made on condition of anonymity, changed his message a few hours later, telling Reuters that Donald Trump was “very well” and that “doctors are very pleased with his vital signs.”
Meadows did not clarify the discrepancy in his comments. A Trump adviser, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the president was not happy to learn of Meadows’ initial comments, Reuters reported.
Administration officials described the move to “Walter Reed” as cautious and said Trump would stay here for a few days.
Another source, who spoke about Trump’s condition, said the president received extra oxygen before going to the hospital. Trump’s decision to hospitalize came after he had difficulty breathing and his oxygen levels dropped, according to a source familiar with the situation.
White House doctor Sean P. Conley told reporters Saturday that Trump had no breathing problems and did not need oxygen at “Walter Reed.”
“The team and I are extremely pleased with the progress the president has made,” Conley said.
He declined to say when the president could be fired, and later issued a statement saying he was wrong after he appeared to suggest Trump had been diagnosed as early as Wednesday.
In a statement Saturday night, Conley said the president is “not out of danger,” but his team remains cautious.
“Today’s show – doctors say one thing, White House sources say otherwise and both later change them – proves the administration’s credibility issues,” said Kyle Kondik, a political analyst at the University of Virginia.