Two French journalists from the newspaper The world were seriously injured in a bombing in Nagorno-Karabakh on Thursday. They will be repatriated as soon as possible, says French President Emmanuel Macron.
According to the editor-in-chief of The world it involves a photographer and a reporter. Their identity has not been disclosed. The two are currently in a hospital in the Armenian enclave and are said to be in bad shape.
There is fierce fighting in the area between Azerbaijan and Armenia. Years of conflict have flared up over the Nagorno-Karabakh enclave since Saturday night. Dozens of people have since died and hundreds were injured in shelling from both sides.
The two were said to have been hit by a bombing when they were filming houses with other journalists that had been destroyed in previous bombings on Sunday.
The bombing lasted about a minute, said Regis Gené, a journalist for the TV station France 24: “Suddenly we heard a rocket hit.”
“We cannot emphasize enough how serious and dangerous this conflict area is at the moment,” warns the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
A plane to evacuate the two is ready, Macron said after arriving at a European Union summit in Brussels. “We are doing everything we can to stabilize their condition now so that they are ready for evacuation.”