(Arsenal – Molde 4–1) Martin Ellingsen (25) shook Arsenal with a cannon, but his teammates each went their separate ways in their own field. Then it became impossible for Molde to get points against Arsenal.
The Europa League match at the Emirates in London ended with a comfortable and deserved victory for the home team. In both 1-1 and 3-1, they took advantage of pure attacking errors at Molde and learned that it goes quickly to the opposite goal yard in European football.
– We get too high in the pressure in the second half, and they get a lot of room and get created too much. But it stands and tilts a bit, at 2-1 we should score on a solid chance. When we get 3-1 in the face, it gets heavy on the outside. We will be the number too small in the second half, says Erling Moe to VG at the digital press conference after the match.
But in the opening, the Norwegian last year’s champions bit off. They dared to press high, the ball-safe midfield with Magnus Wolff Eikrem, Fredrik Aursnes, Martin Ellingsen, Etzaz Hussain combined well in between, and defensively closed the backs of Arsenal when the home team sought a wide offensive.
And then Magnus Wolff Eikrem has eyes in his neck. At least it looked like this after half-time in the first half: Stian Gregersen won his duel in midfield and headed a Bernd Leno play back in Arsenal’s half. The Molde maestro received the ball, but played it further on the first touch to a straight-faced Martin Ellingsen.
Elverumsingen advanced, aimed at the farthest corner and swept in 1-0 behind a confused Leno. Until then, Arsenal had hardly been a threat to Erling Moe’s team.
– It was good to see. This is the type of game that is needed to put these teams in check matte. It shows that we were involved, describes Moe – who, like Arsenal and Mikel Arteta, had a full points pot before kick-off in London.
– It was important for both of us to win in order to top the group, and we convinced with the victory today. Molde impressed me, but there are three matches left, says Arteta when he has taken over the conference podium from his Norwegian colleague.
To VG, the Arsenal manager denies that they underestimated Molde, despite all the changes in the first student and the fact that the Norwegians took the lead.
– Absolutely not, counters Arteta.
– We dominated from the start, and I do not want to say that we underestimated them at all. We have to use the squad we have, and I think the way we lined up showed that we took them seriously, the Spaniard maintains.
At least he saw that his own team took over after Ellingsen’s shot. It did take time, but Arsenal played closer and closer to dangers in front of Andreas Linde in the Molde goal. First, Edward Nketiah put the ball in goal, but was waved off for offside. Then Ohi Omoijuanfo could actually double the lead, but the Molde striker’s attempt with the left towards the short corner was blocked to the corner by Leno.