Trump’s personal lawyers have called for the suspension of a federal judge’s decision that rejected the Republican president’s argument that the summons is exaggerated and tantamount to political harassment by Manhattan District Attorney Democrat Cyrus Vance.
The Supreme Court has already ruled once in this dispute, rejecting in July Trump’s argument that he is immune from criminal investigations as incumbent president.
Trump’s team said a temporary suspension of the subpoena would give him “a fair chance to develop” his arguments against the subpoena.
A Vance spokesman declined to comment.
Vance’s investigation, which began more than two years ago, focused on money payments made by former President Michael Cohen’s lawyer before the 2016 election to two women – an adult movie star and a former Playboy model – who said they had sex with Trump.
The district attorney suggested in recent court documents that the investigation is now broader and could focus on potential banking, tax and insurance fraud, as well as counterfeiting business records.
The Supreme Court ruled in its July ruling against Trump that he may raise other objections to the summons sent by Vance to his accounting firm Mazars USA, requesting the president’s corporate and personal tax returns from 2011 to 2018.
U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero of Manhattan confirmed the summons on Aug. 20, saying its rejection would effectively give the president immunity from Vance’s criminal investigation, to which the Supreme Court found he was not entitled. New York’s Second Court of Appeal upheld Marrero’s decision last week.
The New York Times reported on Sept. 28 that Trump paid $ 750 in federal income taxes in both 2016 and 2017, and has not paid income taxes in 10 of the past 15 years, reflecting the chronic losses of his business, which he used to avoid paying taxes. Trump challenged the Times article.
Trump, who is running for a second term on November 3, has refused to make his tax returns public, unlike his six White House predecessors.