US President Donald Trump shared a video message on the night from Saturday to Sunday, in which he states that he is doing well. He says he chose to be taken to a hospital because he did not want to be locked up in the White House. He does add that it remains to be seen in the coming days how well he is actually doing.
Chief of Staff calls Trump’s situation ‘very worrisome’
“I was offered to stay in the White House. Stay in, lock yourself up and don’t go out,” said the president of the United States. He explains that he didn’t like the idea of staying upstairs in a room without seeing people or going to his office.
“When I came here I didn’t feel very well, but things are getting better now,” Trump said in the message. He says he will be back soon to continue his work and election campaign. “We are going to beat this coronavirus.” Trump adds that the First Lady Melania is also doing well.
In the message, Trump thanks all the medical personnel who help him and thanks everyone who wished him good health. “The expressions of love are unforgettable”.
It is not clear whether Trump actually recorded the video on Saturday night.
Earlier Saturday evening, it was announced that Trump’s Chief of Staff Mark Meadows has said off the record to journalists that Trump’s situation is “very worrisome” with no “clear path to recovery.” Earlier, he, and White House physician Sean Conley, said the president is doing well.
Following a press briefing, White House reporters from various US media outlets at Walter Reed Hospital, where Trump is being cared for, were approached by a “source with knowledge of the president’s condition.” This person was recognized as Meadows.
At the press conference, Doctor Conley appeared to be dodging questions about whether the president had been given supplemental oxygen. He said Trump had not had supplemental oxygen on Thursday and Saturday, but she said nothing about Friday. Sources claim to American media that Trump did have extra oxygen on Friday.