The 75th edition of the Back to Spain it will be, like all sporting events in 2020, very different from what was initially planned. Departure from the Netherlands canceled, which was intended to honor the years that had been the territory of the Spanish empire, will be Irún to Arrate the one that will set the starting point of a round with many unknowns.
The first big question will be the ability of the cyclists who have chosen this against the Giro d’Italia, whose last week overlaps with the first of the Vuelta. Up to five winners of major cycling rounds will play for the red jersey, but none part very far on the list of candidates. Chris Froome Y Richard Carapaz, from Ineos Grenadiers, Tom Dumoulin Y Primoz Roglic (winner in 2019 and 2nd in the 2020 Tour), of the Jumbo Visma and Alejandro Valverde, from Movistar, are the ones who already have one of the ‘big three’, but by no means are they the only ones fighting for victory.
In the Spanish team, in fact, Valverde is only one of the three who arrive wanting to take the stripes. They join Murcia Enric Mas, leader of ranks on paper, and Marc Soler, whose progression must be confirmed in this edition. If they are not clear about their work in each stage of the Vuelta, they may suffer doubts again as in 2019. Valverde warns that the stripes are not so clear: “You have to face each day as if it were a classic. Any of the three of us are qualified to be in front“said the veteran cyclist.
Ready for a @lavuelta something different but always with the same illusion!
– Enric Mas Nicolau (@EnricMasNicolau) October 19, 2020
“I’m going to start as in the Tour, with the mentality of going little by little, we must bear in mind that the rivals are strong,” promised Mas, who is aware that they are only the Spanish asset in a Vuelta with absences: Tadej Pogacar, Tour winner, Mikel Landa The Egan Bernal they are just some of the most notable.
Notices to the public and promise of the organization
After the cases seen in the Tour and the Giro, the Vuelta wants to show muscle in terms of organization and that is why they have promised a strict sanitary control protocol. Although it is not prohibited, from Unipublic they have asked the fans not to approach the finish areas and to comply with all the social health recommendations of the regions through which the race will pass.
“We have eliminated promotional activities, there will be no advertising caravan, no Junior Tour, no” fans zone “, or side shows, and we have reduced the organization staff. On the other hand, we have done an appeal to the public to stay home and watch the cycling show on television. They are two measures that have not been taken in other races, “he recalled. Javier Guillén, director of the Vuelta, in an interview with EFE.
72 agents The National Police will reinforce the security of the Vuelta, which has guaranteed strict control of the sanitary ‘bubbles’. This Monday, before the reviews, all the members who will go through the Spanish round were tested, from runners to journalists. None of the athletes tested positive and only one member of the staff of the Bahrain-McLaren and another from Team Sunweb diagnostic tests failed.
🏡 For them, for everyone. This year live #LaVuelta20EnCasa
– La Vuelta (@lavuelta) October 19, 2020
The stages: a lot of mountains and mythical names
It will be a Vuelta in which the cold and rain will add tension to a route in which the experts in the mountains will have to give their heart. From October 20 to November 8, this edition will be a real ordeal for those who are not 100% fit.
From the first day, with the climb to Arrate, it has been made clear that there will be no margin for failure, before stepping on areas such as the Black lagoon, he Tourmalet, Moncalvillo, he Angliru o la Covatilla, where the peloton will arrive on a penultimate day before the tour of Madrid. The 17th stage, which ends in this special category port but will have another five (one first, three third, one second), will most likely be where the final winner is decided.
- October 20. 1st Irún – Arrate 173 km
- October 21. 2ª Pamplona – Lekunberri 151.6 km
- October 22. 3ª Lodosa – Black Lagoon of Vinuesa 166.1 km
- October 23. 4th Numancia – Ejea de los Caballeros 191.7 km
- October 24th. 5th Huesca – Sabiñánigo 184.4 km
- October 25. 6ª Biescas – Tourmalet 136.6 km
- October 26th. Rest day
- October 27th. 7th Vitoria-Villanueva de Valdegovía 159.7 km
- October 28. 8th Logroño – Alto de Moncalvillo 164 km
- October 29th. 9ª Castrillo del Val – Aguilar de Campoo 157.7 km
- 30th of October. 10th Castro Urdiales – Suances 185 km
- October 31. 11ª Villaviciosa – La Farrapona 170 km
- November 1st. 12th Oviedo – Angliru 109.4 km
- November 2nd. Rest day
- November 3. 13ª Muros – Monte Ézaro 33.7 km (CRI)
- November 4. 14ª Lugo – Ourense 204.7 km
- November 5th. 15th Mos-Puebla de Sanabria 230.8 km
- November 6th. 16th Salamanca – Ciudad Rodrigo 162 km
- November 7. 17th Sequeros – La Covatilla 178.2 km
- November 8th. 18th Madrid – Madrid 124.2 km