The 18-year-old man assumed responsibility for the event and said it was due to the republication of the Muhammad cartoons.
The main suspect in the knife attack that caused terror on Friday in front of the former headquarters of the magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris “assumed his act”, which he linked to the republication of the cartoons of the prophet Muhammad by the satirical weekly.
Detained by the police in the Place de la Bastille shortly after the attack with a butcher knife that left two wounded, this 18-year-old “assumes his act that he places in the context of the republication of the cartoons, which he did not support“, according to sources of the investigation.
Friday’s attack took place while the trial for the Charlie Hebdo attack in January 2015, in which 12 people died, including some of the most famous cartoonists in France.
“It is an Islamist terrorist act, a new bloody attack against our country “, exclaimed the French Interior Minister, Gérald Darmanin, in statements to the channel France 2.
Two of the four people attacked on Friday, a man and a woman who work in the building on Nicolas Appert street where the editorial staff of “Charlie Hebdo” had been and had gone out to smoke, were attacked with a butcher ax in the upper part of the body, they are hospitalized without risk of death.
Until now it is not known exactly how the attack happened and what happened to the other two injured people.
According to Minister Darmanin, the main suspect, who arrived in France three years ago from Pakistan, he had already been arrested in June in possession of a knife.
The police arrested a former roommate of this young man on Friday night, so they are already seven people arrested. A judicial source said that another person who remained imprisoned, a 33-year-old Algerian, was released because he was not linked to the attack.
In addition to the confessed author, others are under arrest six men, also Pakistanis, to clarify if they were accomplices or could be involved in any way. Five of them recently shared a home with him in the city of Pantin, bordering Paris. The sixth had also lived with him in a social residence in Cergy, another city in the region.
A few days ago, the terrorist network Al Qaeda threatened Charlie Hebdo with another massacre like in 2015 after the magazine republished the Muhammad cartoons.
Hours after the attack on Friday, Charlie Hebdo expressed “his support and solidarity” with these two wounded journalists and with Premières Lignes, a company with which they were neighbors until 2015 in the building at 10 Nicolas Appert Street.
The magazine also noted that “this tragic episode shows once again that fanaticism, intolerance (…) are still so present in French society. These events, far from terrorizing us, should make us even more combative in the defense of our values. “
These threats “constitute a true provocation in full trial of the 2015 attacks,” said Riss, the publication’s director. This week, an official of the magazine, Marika Bret, revealed that she had to leave her home after receiving threats of death that the police found credible.
Hundreds of people were killed in France in other Islamist attacks after the Charlie Hebdo attack.
In the deadliest of them, the bloodiest in France since World War II, 130 people died on November 13, 2015 in a coordinated series of shooting attacks on bars, restaurants and a concert hall in Paris claimed by the jihadist group ISIS. Another 413 people were injured.
Months later, 86 people died and 458 were injured in mid-2016 when a radical Islamist hit a huge truck with trailer into a crowd celebrating France’s national day, July 14, on a coastal avenue in the southern city of Nice.