14 people in connection with the attacker in Vienna were arrested on suspicion of belonging to a terrorist organization.
The Austrian interior minister told a news conference that mistakes had been made after Austria received information from Slovak intelligence that the attacker had tried to buy ammunition from Slovakia in July.
“Something went wrong somewhere in the next few days about communications,” said Nehammer, who called for an independent commission of inquiry to look into the mistakes made.
After receiving the tip from Slovakia, Austrian federal and provincial intelligence agencies checked the information and asked for further clarification in Bratislava, said Franz Ruf, director of public safety.
“The commission will have the task of elucidating whether the process was carried out optimally and in accordance with the law,” he said at the insistence of the press.
The attacker, eliminated by the police a few minutes after the opening of the fire in the center of Vienna, was born and raised in Vienna and has dual citizenship: Austrian and Northern Macedonian. He had been sentenced to 22 months in prison last year after trying to reach Syria from Turkey to join ISIS, from which he executed only a few months: he managed to deceive those in the deradicalization program that he did not has terrorist convictions being released last December.
All those arrested in connection with the attack are migrants, said the Vienna police chief, some of whom have dual citizenship and come from Bangladesh, northern Macedonia, Turkey and Russia.
By the end of 2018, authorities were aware of 320 people in Austria actively involved or intending to take part in the jihadist war in Syria and Iraq. Of these, 58 died in the region and 93 returned to Austria, while 62 were prevented from leaving Austria.
Authorities analyzed more than 20,000 records sent to witnesses to rule out several attackers that evening.
Two “friends” of the attacker were arrested in Switzerland. Northern Macedonia said three of its citizens were involved in the attack. Austria said another country was cooperating with the authorities without naming it.
French President Emmanuel Macron is due to pay a visit to Austria next Monday, Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz’s office has announced.