TRONDHEIM (VG) (Rosenborg-Haugesund 2–1) Åge Hareide (66) started with two debutants in his first home game after his comeback as Rosenborg coach. But it was an “old trotter” who saved the day.
Substitute Vegar Eggen Hedenstad (29) has barely played right back for Rosenborg this season. Against Haugesund he started on the bench, before coming in at the break.
– It is always fun to score goals, but the most important thing is that we win. It is fun that it counts, says Hedenstad to VG.
Ten minutes before the end, the ball bounced perfectly for the offensive river clearing. From ten meters, Hedenstad hit perfectly with his right foot, and knocked in the winning goal in what was Hareide’s first match at Lerkendal after the coach comeback.
– It’s a little fluffy. It is not a great match, but we score two goals that are enough for us to win.
Three days after scoring two goals in Europa League qualification against Ventspils, Dino Islamovic continued where he left off. It was his heel flick five minutes into the second half that got Hareide’s men on the winning track.
– The first half is bad. The second half is approved. It is a good and important quality to be able to turn the match around, Hareide says to VG.
– Was it a thunderous speech?
– No, it was not. But there were some things we had to fix to get players in the right positions both offensively and defensively. We came from a heavy track in Latvia, and we spent both Friday and a bit of Saturday recovering.
Before the 31st meeting between the two teams, the away team stood with three victories in three attempts against Rosenborg. One day after re-signing for the club, the Icelander Hólmar Örn Eyjólfsson (30) was thrown straight into the team. To his left, another new signing gained confidence; Pa Momodou Konate (26).
– To be honest, I was a little rusty, but I got into it the further out in the fight we came. Being thrown straight into it is a great way to get in shape. I’m tired now, says Eyjólfsson.
Before the match, Haugesund coach Jostein Grindhaug said that the plan was to take Rosenborg hard and high. That turned out to be a good plan, for the first 45 minutes must have been something almost “perfectly delivered” from the all-blues.