Cristiano Ronaldo firmly denied on Friday that he violated the corona rules during the past international period. The Portuguese was accused of this on Thursday by Vincenzo Spadafora, the Italian Sport Minister.
‘My family is on a different floor’
“I have not violated any protocol,” Ronaldo said on Instagram. “They say I broke Italian law, but it’s all lies.”
“I have done everything with permission”, the Juventus attacker continues. “An Italian man, whose name I am not going to mention, has said that I have not followed the protocols. That is just a lie.”
According to Spadafora, Ronaldo has twice flouted the corona rules. The five-time Golden Ball winner tested positive for the corona virus on Tuesday and had already played against Spain and France on behalf of Portugal at that time.
In Italy, the rule is that players are only allowed to leave the ‘bubble’ of their club after three negative corona tests, but according to Spadafora, Ronaldo decided to travel to Portugal after two negative tests. “I don’t think he had permission from the health authorities,” the sports minister said on Thursday.
Ronaldo, who showed no symptoms of the corona virus, is now back in Turin. According to Juventus, he returned to Italy on an ambulance flight after approval from the health authorities.
“I will continue my quarantine at home,” he says. “I am alone and my family is on a different floor. It will remain that way for the next ten days. It is difficult not to be allowed to contact them, but we have to respect the rules.”