The Philippines was hit by the worst storm of the year so far on Sunday. Typhoon Goni has evacuated more than 390,000 people and destroyed 300 homes. The storm claimed the lives of sixteen people, three others are still missing.
Came ashore in four places
The typhoon raged through the south of Luzon, the main island of the Philippines, with a lot of violence and rainfall on Sunday. Hundreds of houses were buried under mudslides and volcanic stones. Several people are still under the rubble, according to local authorities.
Storm surges destroyed dikes and rivers flooded in Bicol, Luzon’s southern coastal region. All dead and missing so far are from Bicol. According to a local governor, a five-year-old child was taken away by the current.
More than 390,000 people have fled the typhoon. The vast majority of people are housed in emergency centers (345,000) and there are concerns that there is not enough room to follow the rules surrounding the corona virus. President Rodrigo Duterte says he is monitoring the situation from his hometown Davao City.
Typhoon Goni is one of the worst storms to hit the country since 2013. Worldwide it is the toughest of the year so far. The storm hit land in the Philippines in four different places, but has since migrated back to the South China Sea.
At the moment, another cyclone is on the way to the Philippine mainland, the local meteorological institute said. This tropical storm Atsani is currently not dangerous yet, but according to the institute could possibly become heavier.