A ‘security incident’ is underway in the French city of Lyon, the French Ministry of the Interior said on Twitter. Everyone is warned to avoid the area. According to the French news agency AFP a priest would have been shot. The culprit is still on the run.
Highest threat level in France due to terrorist attack in Nice
The incident happened around 4pm in the city’s seventh arrondissement. The clergyman would have been shot twice when he was closing the church. He was seriously injured in the process.
The security services are on site with several units. The area around the Jean Macé district is closed. The French Ministry of the Interior is calling to stay out of the area surrounding the incident.
In France, the highest threat level has been in place since the attack in Nice, which killed three people last Thursday. The amendment offers the French government more options for taking security measures.
A 21-year-old Tunisian attacked people with a knife at a church in the southern coastal city on Thursday morning. Three people lost their lives; one of the victims is said to have been virtually decapitated. According to authorities, the man carried a Quran and shouted “Allahu Akbar” (God is the greatest).
The attacker was shot during his arrest and has been hospitalized ever since. He would not have been in France long: he traveled via the Italian island of Lampedusa to Europe earlier this year.