The passion fruit or passion fruit is native to Brazil but is grown in other countries with a tropical and subtropical climate. The best known species are the purple granadilla and the yellow or passion fruit. Passion fruit has a very intense aroma and a particularly pleasant taste what makes passion fruit water worth making on these hot days.
This fruit has an oval or rounded shape, it is medium or small, depending on the quality; the yellow passion fruit is actually larger than the purple passion fruit. The skin of the passion fruit is not edible, so only the pulp is eaten.
The seeds, on the other hand, are often used for animal feed and for oil extraction. The passion fruit flavor is bittersweet and the plant blooms all summer.
Now that it has many benefits and amazing taste, you will love trying the passion fruit water. A perfect summer drink, that tastes best when served cold.
Properties of passion fruit
The passion fruit is very digestible, it is rich in vitamin C, iron, beta-carotene, dietary fiber and potassium. It also contains a good amount of Omega 6 fatty acids, which are very beneficial in keeping the body healthy.
Thanks to its nutritional characteristics, passion fruit has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is capable of protecting the skin from atmospheric agents and the action of free radicals.
Passion fruit is very good against gastritis, water retention and colitis. It also helps keep arteries clean and is therefore an excellent protector of the health of the heart and the entire cardiovascular system.
Calories and nutritional values of passion fruit
The passion fruit contains 97 kcal per 100 g. In addition, 100 g of product contain:
- Grease 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodio 28 mg
- Potasio 348 mg
- Carbohydrates 23 g
- Azúcares 11 g
- Fibra 10 g
- Protein 2.2 g
How to prepare passion fruit water
- Cut the passion fruit in half and extract the pulp. Add the pulp to a blender.
- Add water in an amount 3 times greater than the amount of fruit. Blend for about a minute. The gelatin that surrounds the black seeds will be removed when mixing. Make sure you don’t over mix, as the seeds will break apart and create lumps.
- Strain to separate the seeds.
- Add about 3 times more cold water and sweetener to taste.
- Transfer the juice to a bottle or pitcher and chill.
- Consume this delicious drink straight out of the refrigerator, with lots of ice or mixed with vodka.
- Serve it in an insulated steel mug and enjoy.