The aces announced the matter, which had already been anticipated in public, on Friday evening.
In the previous two seasons, the 20-year-old center striker has played a total of 115 NHL regular season matches at 17 + 25 = 42.
In the playoffs this fall Jesperi Kotkaniemi played 10 matches in the ranks of the legendary Montreal Canadiens and scored a total of four goals.
The aces’ own breeder last played in the League in the 2017-2018 season. At that time, 17-year-old Kotkaniemi hit a power of 10 + 19 = 29 in 57 matches.
– We have always known the will of Jesper and the Montreal Canadiens. As the NHL start schedule stretched beyond what was first announced, this loan agreement began to seem possible and sensible to all parties, Ace Development Director Tommi Kerttula commented in the press release of the Pori Society.
– We are really excited that we got Jesper to Ace. We are talking about one of the future top players in the NHL, who I believe will rise to the top three of the Finnish NHL attackers in the coming years.
The return of Kotkaniemi is good news for the entire League. The talent, which is one of the great promises of the Finnish reel, will certainly also be of interest to the spectators of Ässi’s away games.
– Jesperi is a great person and an ambassador of modern Hockey in Pori to the world. He has a strong desire to play in Ace and help our community cope with the situation. Jesperi is familiar to most of our team, as he has trained here before both of his NHL seasons, Kerttula explains.
“Power levels up”
According to Kotkaniemi, it is nice to return home and to the breeders’ association.
– It’s great to play in Pori, there are good memories here and the team has many acquaintances. The team is really interesting when it is such a special year, Kotkaniemi says in a press release.
– I’m in a good shape. At first I was a couple of weeks in quarantine and since then I have been training hard in Helsinki. Power levels have been sought up and have also been successful.
Jesperi Kotkaniemi will join the Aces training group on Monday. The striker’s contract is valid until the start of NHL camps.