Lars Arne Nilsen took over as Aalesund coach on 25 August this year. Since then, the club has taken three points in nine games. Now the theoretical possibility of survival in the Elite Series is soon over.
But even if Aalesund has a chance to stay, there is very little, if anything, that indicates that they will make it. The result after 24 series rounds shows that the orange-clad from Sunnmøre now stand with 10 points. In the last six matches, they can take a maximum of 18 points, and the gap up to Start in the qualifying place is now 12 points.
– Self-confidence is underestimated in football. We have little of that. It was probably Nils Arne Eggen who said that self-confidence comes from good experiences and we have had very little of that, says Aalesund coach Lars Arne Nilsen to VG.
– Is it so that you can now say that you are down?
– As long as there are theoretical possibilities, we must work on. But you do not have to be a space scientist to understand that it will be difficult. Now we put the table away, we also get to work to get the respect and honor in ourselves. We have to show that we work hard for the club, says Nilsen.
The 56-year-old has lived in Volda for over 20 years. Only one hour and a twenty minute ferry ride from Ålesund. Three weeks before he was hired as Aalesund coach, he was fired in Brann. A club he took up from the OBOS league, but as it has been for years. He sees many similarities with the project he had there, which he has now taken over in Aalesund.
– I wanted to bring them back to life, but at the same time they were so mentally driven. We were very close, we should have taken points in at least three games, but we could not win.
Nevertheless, the victory for Aalesund finally came when they met Haugesund on 31 October. And even though it does not mean the whole world for the hope of Elite Series games also in 2021, it meant a lot to Nilsen, the player group and the club.
– Even if the table does not show that three points means a lot to us, it does. Self-esteem for what we do more is important. We will never give up the pursuit of good performance and confidence.
See how much the victory against Haugesund meant for Kongshavn, which stood at nine on the stock exchange:
Now Nilsen will use the autumn as a kind of “audition round”. He is aware that something will happen in the player logistics this winter. At the same time as he sees great potential in the group, he points out that both players and employees in the club have had a tough year.
– So it’s about restarting?