The decision was made late last week, but it was not publicly announced until Wednesday morning.
After shirking responsibilities in recent weeks, governments at all levels confirmed the news at a joint press conference held in virtual mode on Wednesday.
François Dumontier (François Dumontier) said in an interview with “Montreal Magazine”: “My mood is mixed.” The sentiment of this cancellation and the guarantee agreement will be extended for two years. “
“I am disappointed for my team, many volunteers and all participants who have contributed to the success of the event,” the promoter of the Canadian Grand Prix continued.
Contrary to some rumors (fueled by Quebec’s Prime Minister Francois Legot), the future of the Canadian Grand Prix has never been threatened. COVID-19 is force majeure and it cannot be cancelled. Therefore, the financial aspect is not a problem.
In fact, if there is no pandemic, the Grand Prix will compete last year and the F1 Circus will move to Montreal within six weeks.
Dumontier said: “I am not a party to the contract between F1 and the supporters.” I can’t tell you, as some people claim, whether it is in danger if there is no two-year race. “
Dumontier is absolute. I did consider a closed-door game, but an agreement needs to be reached to cover the operating and preparation costs that the promoter must bear.
However, if there is no ticket sales (its main source of income), the operation is clearly not profitable.
He said: “If there is no one living, I can’t open the room and light it.” It is impossible to do this without the company of the audience. “
Dumontier said that Montreal is the only way for F1. Not without reason.
He said: “This is the oldest Grand Prix outside of Europe.” Liberty Media, which owns F1 and is located in the United States, is very keen on the North American market and Montreal. Other cities in the world are willing to pay more for the right to participate in the competition. “