Lucas Pouille must give up Roland-Garros

Turkish officials upset over President Erdogan’s French cartoon

A number of senior Turkish officials condemn the French satirical weekly's decision Charlie Hebdo to publish a caricature of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan....

Philadelphia calls up National Guard over protests after black man’s death

The American city of Philadelphia has called on the National Guard to help keep order after looting and destruction took place in the city...

Australia accuses Qatar of “offensive treatment” and of doing gynecological tests on passengers with up to 10 flights

The Foreign Minister of Australia, Marise Payne, said Wednesday that Qatar supposedly performed gynecological tests to passengers of at least 10 flights during its...

Merkel wants to close all bars and restaurants

The German Chancellor Angela Merkel will meet with regional leaders this Wednesday to agree to close all restaurants and bars as of November...

“The life of a high school teacher in France is a sinvivir”

The beheading in France of Professor Samuel Paty has dealt a severe blow to Marta, the fictitious name of a Spanish teacher in...

He will therefore not have played a Grand Slam tournament in 2020. Lucas Pouille announced Thursday in a press release that he would not play Roland-Garros (October 27-11), after having already withdrawn from the US Open due to of an operation on the right elbow. Embarrassed by this injury for more than a year, he played only one game this season lost in early March to Noah Rubin at the Indian Wells Challenger. Back in training, however, he hopes to return to competition before the end of the year.

Having to give up playing Roland-Garros when you’re a French player is heartbreaking. But I have to be realistic and reasonable: the priority is to ensure the total recovery of my elbow as well as the necessary period of preparation for my return to the circuit. I wish everyone the best possible 2020 tournament, and of course I will follow the results of the competition! “, the Northerner said in the press release. A decision taken under the advice of the medical team following him.

A dark year

The trouble started at the end of 2019 for Lucas Pouille. After a defeat in the second round of the Shanghai Masters 1000 against John Isner, he had decided to put an end to his season to heal his right elbow. At first, he had considered returning to the Australian Open but he had to wait until last March when he planned to play the first two Masters 1000 of the season in Indian Wells and Miami. The coronavirus then decided otherwise, extending its period of inactivity.

During confinement, the Frenchman had been able to take advantage of a training court at his place of residence, then he had engaged in the Ultimate Tennis Showdown, competition-exhibition organized by Patrick Mouratoglou. After two matches, the pain had unfortunately resurfaced. Operated, Pouille has since taken up the racket and made “rapid progress” according to his press release. He hopes to resume competition at the end of October.

.

trending

Related Articles