ULLEVAAL STADION (VG) Lars Lagerbäck (72) answered for the first time questions about the quarrel with Alexander Sørloth (24).
The Swede did not want to answer questions about the actual conflict with Sørloth, but focused on his irritation that details from the meetings during the previous national team gathering came out in
– The national team for me is for professional players, amateurs I would call those who leak things that are not good for the team. When such an environment is created, it disturbs the elite culture you want to create. It is definitely not good, says Lagerbäck at Monday’s press conference at Ullevaal Stadium.
The national team manager was strongly critical of the leaks, and was clear that it would be a topic he addresses with the player group in the upcoming collection.
– Exactly what I have said now, and a little more complementary, I will discuss with the players, about what this means, and that we should all look in the mirror if we are to be professional.
Lagerbäck says it was never relevant to reject Sørloth from the squad for this gathering. The Swede also attacked VG.
– VG has taken the lead, based on detached incidents that have occurred that night, so you make interpretations and speculations and it does not agree with how I experienced this situation. You have made a very conscious angle and interpretation of this here that does not match my reality, says Lagerbäck, and adds:
– I have not said that VG is wrong, but does not agree with my reality.
The case is being updated!
When asked about the slogan “Stronger together”, and whether one is weaker in front of this gathering after what has happened, the national team manager says:
– There is a risk of that. I have talked to several players about this, which was very frustrating. I think what VG has done has disturbed the security in the performance environment that we have tried to build up, says Lagerbäck.
– I have talked to a couple of people and I know that they are disturbed by this, the Swede states.