ULLEVAAL STADION (VG) In a few years, Jens Petter Hauge (21) has gone from playing football in the 4th division to making his debut for Milan and the Norwegian A national team. The national team manager believes that this is something very special.
– It has gone incredibly fast. The way he has flourished in Bodø and how he with so little experience has ended up in Milan and made his debut with a jump-in there, it must be extremely unique that it has gone so fast, says Lagerbäck.
Norway’s national team manager smiled when TV 2 highlighted the teams Jens Petter Hauge met for Aalesund 2 in the autumn of 2018.
Hauge struggled to gain confidence in lending in Sunnmøre. On the recruiting team, he met teams such as Emblem, Rollon, Godøy, Hareid and Sykkylven in the 4th division.
– I think that if you go through all the players, then there is hardly anyone who has gone straight from Bodø to Milan in one year.
Hauge has admittedly been on all age-specific national teams from G15 to U21 level. Last season, he struggled to play into the starting line-up for Bodø / Glimt, and as mentioned, he was on a failed loan stay in Aalesund.
– If you have faith in yourself and believe in your own skills, and have the ability to stand through tough periods, then I am pretty sure that you will come through it strengthened, says Birger Meling.
You do not have to be a child star, the hill believes.
– You must not be Erling Haaland or Martin Ødegaard. You do not have to be on everyone’s lips when you are 17 years old. You can be 18, 19, 20, 21 or 22 years old before you end up on a national team.
Birger Meling himself was 22 years old when he made his debut in the 8-0 victory away against San Marino in October 2017.
– I think it’s a little nice for all those who are out there and have that dream today, says Meling about Hauge.