ElItalian data administrator has launched a program against Tik Tok Suspected of violating privacy. By opening your own program, Guarantor (Guarantor who protects personal data) Urgent need Protection of minors in Italy.
In early 2020, the European Network of Privacy Regulators EDPB, A working group has been established to investigate Tik Tok’s data practices. In addition, the privacy manager is still investigating the application. The Netherlands, Denmark, France and the United Kingdom.
The guarantor’s statement explained:Although activities have been carried out in response to issues raised by Tik Tok within the committee that classifies European authorities, the guarantor feels the urgency of opening up formal procedures for social networks to protect minors in Italy.“.
The guarantor’s investigation began in March, and there have been some conclusions, such as:
- TikTok’s ban on enrolling people under the age of 13 can easily be circumvented because they explain:”Once the fake birthday is used, it is easy to bypass“
- User information is too general and not specific enough for children. “It is necessary to create a special section specifically for children, written in simpler language and with a warning mechanism to inform them of the risks they face.“
- The data retention time is not reported, nor is its purpose reported.
- The non-EU countries/regions to which the company intends to transfer data lack information or indicate whether these countries/regions comply with European privacy regulations.
- They did not explain either”Anonymous methods that social networks claim to apply“. If someone considers that TikTok presets the user’s profile as “public”, it will cause controversy, thereby making the content publicly available to the greatest extent. In stark contrast to the data protection regulations, the regulations establish the use of technology and organization Measures are guaranteed to ensure whether an unlimited number of people can access personal data.
According to the guarantor’s statement:The company will have 30 days to submit a defense report and request a hearing.. “
The guarantor’s new intervention has questioned Tik Tok’s supervision in Europe. The app moved key data protection functions to Dublin in July to activate the mechanism, Irish Data Protection Commission (DPC) DPC has become the main regulator under EU rules, and DPC itself has questioned this measure.