Vincenzo Spadafora, the Italian sports minister, accuses Cristiano Ronaldo of violating the corona rules by traveling to Portugal during the international match period. The five-time Golden Ball winner tested positive for the corona virus on Tuesday.
The 35-year-old Ronaldo had already taken action against Spain and France at that time. After his positive test, he saw during his self-isolation how Portugal won 3-0 against Sweden.
In Italy, the rule is that players are only allowed to leave the ‘bubble’ of their club after three negative corona tests, but according to Spadafora, Ronaldo decided to travel to Portugal after two negative tests.
“I don’t think he had permission from the health authorities,” the sports minister said in an interview with Thursday Rai Radio 1without going further into the matter.
Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli did not do that later in the day at a press moment after a shareholders meeting. “You have to be with the Ministry of Health and Home Affairs for that,” he said.
Ronaldo (167 international matches, 101 goals) incidentally had no symptoms. He was the only player from Portugal to test positive.
View the results, the standings and the program in the Nations League