Hannes Hyvönen represented the San Jose Sharks and Columbus Blue Jackets in the NHL in a total of 42 matches between 2001 and 2003.
His NHL career could have continued in 2008 at the New York Rangers, but the one-way and career-best contract offer was wasted when the transfer failed to rule after Hyvönen had already signed a contract with Swedish Södertälje.
He reluctantly bent on playing in the ranks of the SHL club.
– I haven’t gotten over losing the Rangers opportunity. I blame Södertälje for everything in my mind, and it shows outwards. I misbehave and eventually I start to play as badly as I can, Hyvönen says in his recent biography In a cage (WSOY)
– In one game, I decide not to try to score a goal. However, I know I can’t intentionally shoot past because one is noticed. I decide to shoot towards the goal, but so that the puck doesn’t go in. My plan fails: I score two goals in the game.
In his almost 20-year professional career, Hyvönen was known not only as a goal-scoring power striker, but also as a hot-headed hottie.
Even for the problem gambler, he makes no secret of his brutally honest book.
In the 2010–11 season at Traktor Chelyabinsk, he fell into disrepair with the coach, and his role was mainly to solve penalties.
– Once we are playing in a really small hall in some of the ultimate corners of humanity, when the actual playing time once again ends in a draw. Again, there is a winning goal competition ahead. I nököttänyt bench all the time and I am Satan This grand ice, Hyvönen says in the book.
– It’s your turn, Hannes, the coach says.
The disc is placed in a central circle.
– I take it on my shoulder, somehow kick myself up and after the blue line I close my eyes. I don’t want to score. I just want to get out of here.
– I’ll catch a few more kicks. I estimate that I have approximately between the goalposts and lauon. The puck goes to the finish. I have made a goal KHL together with closed eyes.
The opponent’s goalkeeper looked at Hyvö with his mouth wide open.
– He had seen that my eyes were not open.
Excerpts from Marika Lehto’s and Hannes Hyvönen’s book Häkissä (WSOY).