Surely more than once it has happened to you that you send a WhatsApp message or make a call to a person you shouldn’t have. Most of the time you just ask for an apology, but with teleworking on the rise, you are likely to send more emails than before, so you may have made a mistake on some occasion sending an email to the wrong person, or suddenly you You realized that you wrote something wrong and you must remedy it.
The problem with email is that many times when you press the send message button there is no longer anything you can do. In the case of users who use Microsoft Exchange, it is possible to delete an email already sent directly from the tray of users who still do not read it, but for those who have a Gmail or Outlook account (Hotmail, live, etc.) it is not It is possible to do this, or not in the same way, but there is a way to stop a “sent” email if we react quickly.
How does this trick work?
In reality, this is a placebo effect that Google and Microsoft have devised, and with which they make us think that we have the power to delete a sent email. The reality is that what both companies have done is activate a kind of insurance that gives you a few seconds to delete a sent email, but it is not that they are eliminating that email from the inbox of all recipients, but in reality they are pausing the sending of mail on the servers for a few seconds.
However, this is an option that we recommend having activated to avoid an accident at work and that emotions or the speed of the situation do not play a trick on you.
To activate this option in Gmail you must do the following:
- Open Gmail and go to the gear that opens the email settings, it is located in the upper right part of the screen.
- Now click on “All settings” and go to the “General” tab.
- Find the option “Undo the shipment” and select the time you want to have to cancel a shipment, this can be from 5 to 30 seconds.
In the case of Outlook you must do the following:
- Click on the gear in the upper right and then go to the option that says “See all Outlook settings”.
- Find the “Compose and reply” tab, and then go to the “Cancel submission” section.
- Now set the time, here it can only be done for 5 or 10 seconds.
With this configuration you will not suffer again after sending an email to the wrong person or with a message with errors.