Mushrooms become a highly coveted ingredient in kitchens, especially at this time of year, when the harvest season begins after the end of summer and the arrival of the first rains.

However, those people who go into the woods in search of the best specimens, They must take into account a series of safety measures to avoid poisoning for the consumption of mushrooms not suitable for consumption.

In Spain, about 300 people suffer from poisoning every year by the consumption of mushrooms that, in some cases, causes the death of those affected, as indicated from the portal of Madrid Salud.

The maximum premise is do not collect or consume any mushrooms that have not been identified with complete certainty. Thus, it is necessary to know exactly which mushroom it is before picking it up and take into account that some harmful mushrooms share common characteristics with other edible mushrooms.

One recommendation is do not pick those mushrooms that are in a state of maturity or with a youthful appearance, since it is much more difficult to identify them and, therefore, it is easy to confuse them with inedible mushrooms. In the same way, we must avoid those mushrooms that are found in industrial areas, near roads or on soils treated with chemical fertilizers.

On the other hand, due to their high fiber content, mushrooms are a fairly indigestible product, so even in the case of edible mushrooms, it is not advisable to consume them in large quantities.

In the same way, it is not necessary to consume a mushroom that has caused any type of health disorder, since there are allergies to this food, especially to Lepista nebularis. In addition, there are individual prescriptions regarding the preparation and consumption of mushrooms:

  • Coprinus atramentarius (inked silk, bolet de femer, pixacá negre) cannot be consumed with alcohol, as it causes great dilation of the blood vessels and redness of the head and neck.
  • The Morchellas (morels) and Helvelas (form of miter, orella de gat or miter marro) should not be consumed raw, as they present hemolytic principles that are destroyed by heat.

False myths and popular beliefs

There are different beliefs among the population about how to deal with poisonous mushrooms that in no case work and cannot be used to decide whether a mushroom is toxic or not. So, do not get carried away by these false myths and do not proceed to collect, cook or eat no toxic mushroom. These are some of the popular false beliefs:

  • Cooking mushrooms with vinegar and salt removes toxicity.
  • Toxic mushrooms blacken garlic when cooked or the silver in spoons, rings, or coins on contact.
  • If a mushroom smells or tastes good, it is not toxic.
  • Mushrooms that grow in meadows where animals graze are not toxic.
  • Mushrooms nibbled by animals are edible to people.
  • The mushrooms that grow on the wood are not toxic.
  • Mushrooms that change color on cutting or contact are toxic.
  • Volva and ring mushrooms are toxic. It is true that Amanita phalloides, the main cause of mortality from mushroom consumption, has a ring and volva, but there are other toxic mushrooms that do not have a ring or volva and edible mushrooms that do.