French police made two more arrests on Friday in the investigation into the attack in Nice, police sources report to the French news agency AFP. According to insiders, it is a 33-year-old and 29-year-old man. A total of four people are now detained for involvement in the attack.
A total of four people have now been arrested who are suspected of having been in contact with the perpetrator. On Thursday evening, a 47-year-old man was arrested for possible involvement. French police arrested a 35-year-old man on Friday, who may have been an accomplice of the perpetrator.
The 33-year-old man is said to have been present when the police raided the home of another suspect. The 29-year-old man was arrested on Saturday in the city of Grasse. Like the culprit, it would be a Tunisian. According to local media one of the people arrested is probably a relative of the man who was arrested Friday.
Exactly what role the detained men played in the attack remains to be investigated.
The perpetrator, a 21-year-old Tunisian, attacked people with a knife at a church in the southern coastal city on Thursday morning. Three people lost their lives; one of the victims is said to have been virtually decapitated. According to authorities, the man carried a Quran and shouted “Allahu Akbar” (God is the greatest).
The attacker was shot during his arrest and has been hospitalized ever since. He would not have been in France long: he traveled via the Italian island of Lampedusa to Europe earlier this year.
Correction: In an earlier version we wrote about carrying out a third arrest. That is incorrect: including the perpetrator, a total of four arrests have now been made.