Austrian police arrested a total of fourteen people in the investigation into the terrorist attack in Vienna, Interior Minister Karl Nehammer announced on Tuesday. He also says that the police think there was only one shooter.
Schutter wanted to join IS
Follow the latest developments in our live blog.
It is not clear how the detained persons were involved in the shootings in the Austrian capital. The authorities have not disclosed exactly what they are suspected of.
Nehammer says there is no evidence so far that the attack was carried out by multiple gunmen. The video footage being reviewed by police “does not show any evidence of a second attacker at this point,” the minister said.
Police carried out eighteen house searches after Monday night’s events. This could take place due to the quick identification of the attacker who was shot by police after nine minutes on Monday.
It concerns a 20-year-old man who was sentenced to 22 months in prison in April 2019 for wanting to join the Islamic State (IS) and was released on parole at the beginning of December. The shooter had Austrian and North Macedonian passports.
Nehammer says that during a deradicalisation program, the man would have given the impression that he was doing better when in reality he was not. According to the minister, the attacker fooled his practitioners.
The Austrian capital was startled by a shooting at around 8 p.m. on Monday. Ultimately, shots were fired in six places. Four people were killed and 22 injured. Three people are now in danger of death. The condition of a seriously injured cop has stabilized.
In Austria, a minute of silence was held all over the country at noon, and the flag is at half mast at government buildings. Chancellor Sebastian Kurz has declared three days of national mourning.
The police turned out en masse on Monday because of the gunfire in Vienna. (Photo: ANP)