Although it is difficult for many to recognize it, the summer is already over and give way to autumn, a season in which the mountainous and forest landscapes are stained in brown, yellow, green and ocher colors. And in which also the weather changes and the rains begin to dominate the sky.
Although the picture seems beautiful, all this accumulation of factors and climatic phenomena can end up posing a risk for driving. According to the car manufacturer SEAT, leaves on the road can cause a loss of adherence to the asphalt and the rain also affects visibility during the journey.
For these reasons it is necessary adapt driving to the new season, apply a series of practical tips to maintain safety at the wheel and, above all, know the state of the road and the risks that we may encounter during the journey.
- Millimeter caution. Asphalt cools and gets wet in the fall, so checking your tires is vital. The grip and braking ability depend on its good condition.
- The leaves, like the snow. The leaves, especially wet, make the grip as low as on a road in full snow. The pilot and driving expert Jordi Gené recommends avoiding areas where the leaves completely cover the road and not braking hard.
- The 3V rule (visibility, vehicle ahead and speed). With fog, if for example we can only see at 50 meters, we must leave that same distance with respect to the vehicle in front and it should not exceed 50 km / h.
- Avoid the mirror effect. Another key is to be seen with the fog lights. The pilot warns that “in no case should the long ones be used, since through the windows and with suspended drops they produce an effect that prevents us from seeing the silhouette of the vehicles that precede us”.
- Your eyes in the rain Driving with the wipers in poor condition implies, according to experts, a loss of visibility of between 20 and 30%. You have to change them once a year and autumn, precisely because it is the season of intense rains, is the most recommended time to do it.
- Double the security. No need to rain for the asphalt to be slippery, just the humidity and the drop in temperatures typical of the season. “For this reason, you must always exercise extreme caution in shady areas, especially if they are curved,” says Gené.
- In aquaplaning, forget the brake. In autumn, the rains are usually short and intense, which is the time of year when it is most possible to suffer from hydroplaning. “In this situation, it is very important not to apply any pressure on the brake until the wheels come into contact with the asphalt again”, explains the rider.
- Firm against the wind. The wind can be another great challenge on the road, which is why it is key to moderate speed and hold the wheel hard when overtaking trucks, since due to the screen effect, it can destabilize the directionality of the car.
- Without fear of the long ones. With the arrival of winter time, the hours of night driving increase. Correct lighting is decisive, since 30% of accidents in Europe occur at night.
- No surprises. Fall is the mating season for many wild animals, which move in small herds and are more active. It is very important to slow down in those areas marked with danger signs for fauna.