VALLE (VG) (Vålerenga – Brann 5–1) He only needed eight minutes and 45 seconds to make a hat-trick in his debut. Without the corona crisis, Vålerenga coach Dag-Eilev Fagermo believes that Vidar Örn Kjartansson (30) would have ended up in Swedish football.
The VIF boss admits this to VG after the 5-1 show against Brann, where the Icelander made mincemeat of the Brann defense from the 14th to the 23rd minute with three first touch finishes:
A real hat trick, done with the right, head and right again, meant 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1 to Vålerenga.
– Corona is very sad. But to be honest: Had it not been for the corona, we would have had trouble getting him. It was large Swedish clubs that were interested. They bleed because there is no audience in the stands. We do not bleed in the same way, says Fagermo.
– It made it more possible. It would have been tougher for us if those clubs had people in the stands, because they generate income in a completely different way, the Vålerenga coach continues.
Audience teams such as Hammarby and Malmö were both connected to the 2014 top scorer in the Elite Series. Instead, it became Intility Arena with 200 spectators. But also it works to restart the scoring machine.
Fagermo must go five years back in time to find the last time one of his teams played as well as in the first round against Brann.
– It must have been Dortmund. The first 20 minutes when we led 3-0, Fagermo grins when asked if the last time one of his teams played and aims for Odds Europa League match from
It happened with Vålerenga investor Tor Olav Trøim smiling in the stands, where he sat at an infection control-correct distance to Martin Andresen. The current Vålerenga board member with a marked past in both clubs saw that the Oslo team finally scored more than two goals in the same match for the first time in 2020.
Mostly thanks to the re-entry of Vidar Örn Kjartansson in a blue suit. The opportunity to land the spectacular transition began when agent Olafur Gardarsson called and informed the Oslo club that it could be picked up for free from Turkey this summer.
– When the sum of the owner, sports apparatus, management and player agree so much, it is easier to get it effected, Fagermo describes.
– What role did Trøim play in the transition?