Two new clues in recent days indicate that the Canadian Grand Prix will not be held on June 13th.
However, the F1 sports director does not rule out that a pandemic like last year may make the calendar greatly discounted.
Therefore, his words show that Montreal is the most vulnerable destination, at least in the first half of the season.
After the initial 2021 event (which will be held in Bahrain on March 28), the next 14 stages (which will take place between April 18 and September 26) will not require a journey across the Atlantic. To be exact… Montreal.
The game is scheduled to be held on June 6 in Azerbaijan, Canada, one week before. After that, the F1 circus must return to Europe to participate in a series of eight games, which will start in France on June 27.
“We are very happy to be able to resume activities,” said Brown of the British Sky Sports Network to our colleagues. However, we are facing similar problems as last year. Brown said that if more distant events are not possible, such as Canada, some adjustments may be made. “
Under the current circumstances, the COVID-19 situation is far from being controlled, and Canada’s vaccination campaign will be completed before the end of September. Therefore, all F1 stakeholders undoubtedly do not want to stay in Canada for a short time. The United States, used for the introduction of a Grand Prix.
We would rather wait until this fall, where three games have already been scheduled (Texas, Mexico and Brazil). If the race is postponed, the Canadian Grand Prix can sneak away. In this busy schedule, F1 always commendable stopover remains to be seen. Volatile weather is also a factor to consider.
Another factor that weakens Montreal’s place on the initial calendar is that F1 hopes that the first of the three “sprint” races organized on Saturday this year should be held at the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
It was not Brown who announced the news on Friday, but the British “Daily Mail” citing reliable sources.
More than a month ago, F1 leaders stated that they hope to hold a race this Wednesday instead of the usual qualifying, which is the three races this year. Then the targeted locations were Montreal, Monza in Italy and Inlagos in Brazil.
However, according to the “Daily Mail” report, the first attempt was indeed made in Silverstone on July 17, and it is no longer in Montreal.