Planet Earth It is headed for this year to end up being the warmest ever recorded since the historical series of world temperatures began in 1880, according to the latest climatological report from the US agency NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration).

The report indicates that the global temperature of the land and ocean surface between January and September exceeded the average of that period by 1.02ºC, and it became the second highest in 141 years of historical record, only 0.04ºC below the first nine months of 2016.

According to NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI), there is a “nearly 65% ​​chance that 2020 will end as warmest year on record and about a 35% chance that it will be the second warmest year on record. “

Between January and September it was hotter than normal in much of the Earth, especially in northern Asia, where temperatures at least 3ºC higher than normal have been detected. In those nine months there were records in much of North Asia and areas of southeastern China, Europe, North Africa, North South America, Central America, and the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific oceans.

On the contrary, the temperatures were colder than average in Alaska, western Canada, northern India, and southern oceans. However, no land or ocean area registered cold records between January and September.

Europe exceeded its normal temperature by more than two degrees

Europe, Asia and the Gulf of Mexico they had their warmest period from January to September ever recorded. The European temperature was 2.12ºC higher than normal (0.16ºC than the previous record, of 2018) and it was the first time that it crossed the 2ºC barrier of positive anomaly. The Asian surpassed the usual by 2.30ºC (0.30ºC more than in 2016). And that of Gulf of Mexico turned out to be 0.92ºC sabove average (0.13ºC more than in 2017).

For its part, South America and the Caribbean lived the second warmest period from January to September in the historical series.

The NOAA report indicates that Spain recorded the first nine months warmest year since national temperatures began to be measured in 1961 (0.1ºC more than in 2017), according to data from the State Meteorological Agency (Aemet).