ULLEVAAL STADION (VG) Norway’s hottest and most important attacking player Erling Braut Haaland (20) says he did not feel involved when Norway wasted the opportunity for European Championship games against Serbia.
He admittedly played only his fourth international from the start, but after 21 goals in 23 games for Borussia Dortmund since the New Year and a
last international match, there were high expectations of what Haaland could accomplish against Serbian defensive lines in the match that sealed Norway’s European Championship fate.
Victory would send Norway on to the playoff final against Scotland with European Championship participation in the pot. prolongs the championship drought.
– I will not swear, but I am very upset, Haaland says to TV 2 after the match which was decided as follows:
Serbia’s stopper trio, consisting of Nikola Milenkovic, Aleksandar Kolarov and Stefan Mitrovic, neutralized Haaland and striker Alexander Sørloth effectively. The Norwegian coaching team stood out. He was not allowed to use it.
– I do not feel involved at all in the match. It is simply not good enough, Haaland believes.
The only time he really let go – after barely half an hour played – Nemanja Maksimovic averted the Norwegian’s heading on the line.
– There is a lot to put your finger on. There are structural and tactical errors, says former national team coach Egil “Drillo” Olsen in TV 2’s studio.
VG asked the current national team manager, Lars Lagerbäck, why his most dangerous player did not feel involved in the press conference after the match. Then he answered simply:
– It’s because the team did not play well.
Only Mathias Normann found the net on a long shot, but it did not hold for Norway. Thus, the Norwegian people have to wait even longer to see the national team in a championship again. The next chance is the World Cup in Qatar in 2022.
– It’s just disappointment. We had a good opportunity to get to the European Championships and we are not good enough, says Haaland, and repeats: