If you are aware of what you pay for your digital services in Mexico, you will know that since June 2020 the companies that provide them and that do not have their residence in our country are obliged to find out the 16% VAT, just as national providers do.
This obligation was part of a reform to Value Added Tax Law, whose explanatory statement was related to low tax collection.
Hence, throughout these months we have seen increases in the prices of foreign digital services that operate in Mexico, such as Netflix, PlayStation Store and Nintendo eShop.
And now, to provide transparency on the subject, the Government of Mexico reported through the Official Gazette of the Federation (DOF) which are the foreign providers of digital services that already registered in the Federal Taxpayers Registry to find out the VAT.
Companies like Apple, Nintendo, Microsoft, Facebook Y Riot Games, and platforms like Netflix, Spotify, Amazon, Zoom, Airbnb, DiDi Y Clear Video These are just some of those that are part of the list published in the DOF, and the absence of Sony is striking, a company that since the reform came into force began to charge VAT to PlayStation Store users.
At the time of writing this note (November 11, 2020), this is the complete list published by the DOF, whose information cutoff was on October 30:
- Alexa Internet
- Airbnb Ireland Unlimited Company
- Acorn Media Group, INC.
- Amazon Services Europe S.A R.L.
- Amazon Services International, INC.
- Amazon.com Services LLC
- Bloomberg Finance L.P.
- Coursera, Inc.
- Msci Limited
- Clear Video
- DiDi Mobility Information Technology PTE. LTD.
- Expedia Lodging Partner Services SARL
- Expedia Local Expert
- Ea Swiss Sarl
- Fender Digital LLC
- Funimation Global Group, LLC
- Facebook Payments International Limited
- Faceboook Technologies Ireland Limited
- Hotmart B.V.
- HBO Digital Latin America LLC
- Homeaway.com, INC.
- Huawei Services (Hong Kong) CO., Limited
- IMDb.com, INC.
- Microsoft Corporation
- Msci Esg Research (UK) Limited
- The Mind Hub Company, S.L.
- Moco Studios Private Limited
- Nintendo Of America INC.
- Netflix International B.V.
- NBA Properties, INC.
- Riot Games, INC.
- Of the year, INC.
- Rebuilding Technology PTE. LTD
- Spotify AB
- Sportradar Ag
- Socialbakers A.S.
- S&P Opco, LLC
- Social Online Payments Limited
- Uber BV
- Verticales Intercom, Limited Company
- Zoom Video Communications, INC