The second election debate between US President Donald Trump and presidential candidate Joe Biden that would take place on October 15 has been canceled, the committee behind the debates confirms to the news agency Reuters. The committee took the decision after disagreements arose about the form of the debate that would be conducted online due to the corona virus.
The committee previously decided to have the debate take place online in order to protect the health of all those involved. The candidates would debate online from different locations.
Trump indicated on Thursday that he no longer wanted to participate in the debate. “I’m not going to waste my time on an online debate,” the president said FOX Business.
Trump and a number of close ones, including his advisor Hope Hicks, tested positive for the virus last week. The president himself was admitted for several days and was released from hospital on Monday.
Biden has previously indicated that he does not want to debate Trump in the usual way as long as the president is still contagious. Trump says he has since recovered and is no longer contagious.
With the committee officially calling off the second debate between Trump and Biden, all eyes are on the third and likely final debate between the candidates. This debate is scheduled for October 22. It is not yet known in what form this debate will take place.