attack. A week after three Europeans were executed in the same area, at least 30 civilians were killed in the east and a village was looted.
dEarlier on Monday, May 3, unidentified armed men took over the village of Kodyel in the commune of Futuri in eastern Burkina Faso, attacked the residents and destroyed everything along the way. Result: At least 30 people died. This has been one of the deadliest attacks by suspected jihadists in the country since 2015, a week after the execution of three Europeans in the same area.
“This is still a temporary assessment because people have fled the village,” said a member of the Volunteer Organization for the Defence of the Fatherland (VDP), a civil defense affiliated organization engaged in anti-jihad struggles with the defense and security forces. The commune in Futuri said that “about thirty people have died.” He pointed out that “about 20 people were injured, several of whom were injured”. A VDP official also confirmed the attack, saying it was “very heavy casualties” and at least “20 to 30 people died.”
Tashan: “In the Sahel, don’t impose yourself, don’t impose anything”
VDP regional officials told AFP, “The attack happened early this morning and some people are still at home. Dozens of people broke into the village and burned down their houses, while others watched and opened fire indiscriminately. He added: “The terrorists also injured about fifteen people, some of whom were evacuated to the Fadar Nguma Hospital Center for treatment. The governor of the Eastern Region, Colonel Sedu T.P. Sanou, said in a statement that in addition to this fatal casualty, several concessions and granaries have been opened.
For a witness who confided to Agence France-Presse, “the massacre could have been avoided” because “the alarm was sent to the terrorists in the area a few days ago. Some people have threatened to condemn them or encourage those who fight against them. Volunteer villagers”. A security source said: “Immediately after the guard issued an alarm, an operation was launched to protect the population and hunt down these people.”
This is one of the deadliest attacks since Burkina Faso was subjected to jihadist operations, which killed more than 1,200 people and displaced millions of people from violent areas. Most importantly, in the past three months, about 40 volunteers have been killed in Burkina Faso, and these civilian auxiliary personnel are increasingly being targeted by armed groups that destabilize the country. According to Agence France-Presse, more than 200 people have died since January 2020. “We are often attacked by terrorists who directly attacked and destroyed our base. Our houses have also been attacked. We have received death threats and some of our brothers have been kidnapped by terrorists.” Mahamadi Youl, 38, of VDP He confided in his heart last week. He said that since joining the army eight months ago, he has put his family in a safe place.
President Roch Marc Christian Kaboré proposed in November 2019 the idea of organizing a structure that brings together civilian volunteers. On the day after the new major attack, on January 21, 2020, the National Assembly voted to pass a law requiring the establishment of a VDP. These voluntary civilian support personnel were recruited locally. Their main task is intelligence, and the Burkina Faso armed forces seem to be very lacking in intelligence.
They know the area very well and are therefore at the forefront of providing information to military officials, especially the actions of armed groups. They received a 14-day initial training to master the use of small arms and basic military tactics. The June parliamentary report estimated their number to be “over 2,000”, but in reality it will be even more.
“Beware of humanitarian and security crises in the Sahel!”
According to the report, on January 1, 2019, unidentified armed men attacked the village of Ilgu in northern Burkina Faso, killing 6 people including the village chief. This was an attack. Retaliation was carried out, resulting in 50 deaths. According to civil society organizations, this number exceeds 70. In November 2019, an ambush on a convoy in the eastern part of the country, which carried employees of a Canadian mining company, caused 37 deaths and 60 injuries.
Monday’s attack occurred one week after the ambush of an anti-poaching hybrid unit on the Fada N’Gourma-Pama axis in the same area. After this, two Spanish journalists and an Irish wildlife conservationist were reported missing for the first time, “according to the Burkina Faso authorities.” According to official sources, on the same day, unidentified armed men attacked a village in the Sahel region, killing at least 18 people.