Fredrik Haugen and Daouda Bamba have tested positive for covid-19 and the whole team must be quarantined. Both played the match against FK Haugesund this weekend, which is also in quarantine.
– Fredrik Haugen was involved in the match against Haugesund and received a test result tonight (Thursday). We are all in quarantine, and we can not train until Wednesday next week, says sports manager Rune Soltvedt to VG.
On Friday, all Brann’s players will be tested for the coronavirus. Sports manager Eirik Opedal in FK Haugesund confirms to VG that they will also be quarantined until Wednesday. At the time of writing, they have not received any positive test results.
– Bamba’s infection happened in a relationship with a person outside us. As for Fredrik, he had a little uneasiness in his stomach before the match and that is not unusual. Therefore, we did not suspect anything until he played the match on Saturday, but he can have had symptoms already on the day of the match. We are sorry that Haugesund is also exposed to this, says Soltvedt – who emphasizes that the infection tracing on Fredrik Haugen has not yet been completed.
Magnus Myntevik, doctor in Brann and leader of the Norwegian Football Association’s (NFF) medical council, gave the green light for Haugen to play the match.
it is clear that abdominal pain is one of the symptoms of covid-19 one should be aware of:
– Was it justifiable for him to play?
– Haugen has a little restlessness in the stomach before the match and often, and there were such mild and diffuse symptoms that we think it was. This was probably quite, at the very beginning of the disease course, in addition to the fact that it has been a very unusual disease course for covid-19. Had he had the same symptoms as he had the next day, he would not have played the match, Myntevik says to VG.
Football has operated under a clear protocol and a strict test regime ever since its inception in June.
– I would say that it is surprising, but it also shows that we are very vulnerable even though we live by these restrictions. When it can happen to us, it can happen to anyone, says Soltvedt.
Haugen and Bamba are in isolation at home and will be there until they are healthy. Brann will meet Rosenborg on Sunday 22 November, and Brann is planning on the basis that the match will go as planned, says Soltvedt.