Azerbaijan and the Armenian ethnic forces they have accused each other this Monday of launch new attacks in the Upper Karabakh and its surroundings, which increases the pressure on the fragile humanitarian ceasefire two-day duration intended to end the intense fighting in this Caucasus enclave.
Russia, that negotiated the ceasefire, has called on both parties to respect it, and Luxembourg has reiterated the appeals from the European Union for what Turkey, an ally of Azerbaijan, do more to ensure an end to hostilities that have already killed hundreds of people.
The fighting, the deadliest in Upper Karabakh for more than 25 years, they are being closely watched abroad in part because of their proximity to Azeri gas and oil pipelines and the risk that regional powers Turkey and Russia will be drawn into conflict.
Ankara and Moscow are under a increasing pressure to use their influence in the region to put an end to the fighting. The ceasefire is intended to allow ethnic Armenian and Azerbaijani forces to exchange prisoners and bodies of people killed during these two weeks of fighting in Upper Karabakh, which is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan but governed and populated by ethnic Armenians.
The reality is that ceasefire has quickly worn out. Azerbaijan said on Sunday that it had launched airstrikes against an Armenian regiment, after receiving an Armenian rocket attack on an apartment building. Armenia denied carrying out such an attack.
On Monday, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry reported that Armenian forces had tried to attack their positions in the Aghdere-Aghdam and Fizuli-Jabrail regions, and were bombing territories in the Goranboy, Terter and Aghdam regions within Azerbaijan.
Nagorno-Karabakh said that his forces had caused losses to the Azerbaijani forces and that the large-scale military operations they continued in the Hadrut area of the enclave.
Armenia has reported the death of 45 more military personnel in fighting with Azerbaijan in recent hours, bringing the total number of military deaths to 525 since the confrontation broke out on September 27. At least 25 civilians have died and more than 100 have been injured since then.