Despite the climate change, It is never too late to pack your backpack and jump into the mountains.Enjoying a nature getaway can help us clear our minds and feel completely disconnected from work and responsibilities for the rest of the week.
But keep in mind that, with the arrival of autumn, There are also a series of risks that can endanger the day of the route or even hikers. That is why Diego Herranz, a graduate in Physical Activity and Sports Sciences and a mid-mountain technician, explains to us how to plan mountain outings safely.
“The objective risks that we can find at this time of year are related to light, rainfall and temperatures,” explains this technician. So, in low and middle mountains we can find overflowing channels and rivers that prevent us from practicing canyoning or following a trail.
In the high mountains, on the other hand, This risk takes the form of snow, especially above 2,000 meters. An activity that may seem simple becomes more difficult terrain because of that first layer of snow that ends up freezing.
On the other hand, the problem of light and temperatures go hand in hand. By having fewer hours of sunlight, activities must be shorter, since staying in the dark implies running the risk of getting lost and the cold can lead to hypothermia.
Tips for staying safe
However, despite the fact that more factors must be taken into account, Diego does not advise against excursions and routes through nature during this time of year. “The subject of the mountain has a lot to do with logic, common sense and individual criteria,” he points out. You have to be aware of the need to plan routes and getaways more conscientiously and to be more proactive, but you can still enjoy the mountain. To do this, this mountain technician gives us the following advice:
- Calculate the hours taking into account the hours of light. You must allow a two-hour margin between the end of the activity and the time the sun sets.
- The material that is carried, being in the mountains, has to cover several options: elements of protection from the cold, raincoat, coat …
- You have to waste more time preparing the backpack, which has to be made more in detail. It is essential to include a small first aid kit.
- You do not have to take risks when choosing the requirement of the activity. Better to fall short than go overboard.
- Check the weather reports and AEMET alerts before leaving.
- Check with the mountain huts or guides the real conditions of the place where the excursion is going to take place.
It is important to be aware of our own abilities before setting off and assess the conditions of each moment before embarking on the adventure to be able to enjoy the mountain safely.
Do you want to receive all our proposals for plans to keep you in shape?Sign up and we will send you our newsletter.