At least three people died in the Vienna terrorist attack, at least one perpetrator was an IS sympathizer

A volcano erupts for the second time in three days in japanese Indonesia

A volcano on the island of Lembata in Indonesia has erupted for the second time in three days this Sunday and has despatched ash...

The unusual metallic monolith found within the US state of Utah has disappeared as mysteriously because it appeared

The Utah Land Administration Company introduced in a Fb submit that the mysterious monolith disappeared Friday evening from the realm the place it was...

Supported by European Parliament, Poles resume protests over abortion ban

Police in riot gear stormed a rally on Friday, eradicating a whole lot of protesters by truck. "We've got the appropriate to protest,"...

What else do the wealthy folks of the world make investments their cash in throughout a pandemic? Austrian billionaires compete to purchase forests

The household belief of actual property mogul Rene Benko paid nearly 30 million euros to purchase the Stueblergut property, positioned midway between Vienna and...

international locations already experiencing a 3rd wave

United States, Japan and South Korea are one of many few international locations on the planet which might be presently combating towards a 3rd...

Monday night’s terrorist attack in Vienna claimed at least three lives. At least fifteen people have been injured. In addition, one of the perpetrators was shot by the police and at least one suspect is still a fugitive. According to Interior Minister Karl Nehammer, the killed perpetrator was an Islamist and IS sympathizer.

Shots started at synagogue in popular entertainment district

The murdered suspect was heavily armed and, according to the police, was wearing a fake bomb belt. The Viennese mayor Michael Ludwig announced that he had not only a rifle, but also a hand gun and machete. According to him, this perpetrator was “very well prepared”. The police know who he was and are searching his house.

Police soon reported that one person had died. Ludwig later said to the Austrian public broadcaster ORF that a woman died of her injuries in hospital. Tuesday morning it was announced that a third person has died.

Contradictory reports appear about the number of injured people. It is certain that at least fifteen of them are treated in hospital. According to the police, they are all in critical condition, while one was seriously injured previously.

On Monday evening, shots were fired at six different places in Vienna’s old town. The shootings began around 8 p.m. in the immediate vicinity of a synagogue, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry said.

It is not clear whether the synagogue was a target. The building, which was closed during the attack, is in a popular entertainment district with many cafes and restaurants. It was busy on Monday evening, because from Tuesday there is a curfew throughout Austria to prevent the spread of the corona virus. Many people took advantage of their freedom to be on the street in the evening and sat on the many terraces.

According to Minister Nehammer, at least one more perpetrator is on the run. He warned Monday evening that a manhunt for several alleged perpetrators is underway and that they are “heavily armed and dangerous”. “We have brought together several special forces who are now looking for the suspected terrorists,” said Nehammer.

The minister of the interior hinted that the perpetrators may have fled the capital. He insisted to stay indoors until authorities say it is safe on the streets again.

Austria immediately stepped up border security. The Czech police have also decided to switch to additional border controls. The Czech authorities have also decided to give extra security to Jewish institutions.

Nehammer urged to avoid the center of Vienna for the time being. The city center is largely closed off. Public transport in the relevant district has been shut down. He also said that Viennese children do not have to go to school on Tuesday.

Austrian Prime Minister Sebastian Kurz has called the series of shootings a “horrific act of terrorism”. Kurz also reported via his Twitter account that the army is taking over the surveillance of some places in the Austrian capital, so that the police can fully focus on the manhunt for the fugitive perpetrators.

.

trending

Related Articles