Armenia and Azerbaijan have again agreed to a ceasefire in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, both governments and the United States mediator said in a joint agreement on Sunday evening. statement. The humanitarian truce must apply from 8:00 am (local time) on Monday morning.
Previous truces came to nothing
At a meeting in Washington, Minsk Group chairpersons spoke with the Azerbaijani Foreign Minister and his Armenian counterpart. The mediators are said to have urged the countries to comply with the previously agreed truces.
In addition, it was agreed during the meeting to meet in Geneva on 29 October to resume peace talks.
The United States, like France and Russia, is a member of the Minsk group of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe. This group also negotiated in the early 1990s, when war broke out between Armenia and Azerbaijan. When the conflict escalated in 2016, the Minsk group also took action.
At present, fighting continues along the eastern borders of Nagorno-Karabakh and north of the Iranian border. (Infographic: Press/Joris Knikkink)
It is not the first time that the countries in conflict over the Nagorno-Karabakh region have agreed to a ceasefire. Previous truces were declared on October 10 and 17.
Shortly after the commencement of the armistice, both countries accused each other of violating them. Armenia believed that five minutes after the ceasefire began on October 17, Azerbaijan had fired another missile towards the front line. Azerbaijan reported that Armenian soldiers were already firing positions.
Since the conflict between the countries flared up again in late September, both countries have reported many casualties.