Comedian, actor Robin Williams died in 2014 at the age of 63. Williams died committing suicide.
Williams had made his career laughing and entertaining viewers. In the company of the dead poets and in the films Will Hunting, he brought out a more serious side of himself.
The role in Will Hunting gave him even an Oscar for Best Male Year.
In the eyes of an outsider, Williams ’life looked like a success story, but he himself couldn’t do well. As early as the 70s and 80s, Williams had substance abuse problems and later said he was an alcoholic.
Williams’ widow Susan Schneider Williams tells in a new documentary, Robin’s Wish, how Williams noticed before his death that everything was okay.
– Robin told me he wanted to restart his brain, Susan Schneider Williams says in the documentary.
– He told shortly before his death about the invisible monster that is chasing him.
Williams had noticed in the filming of Night at the Museum – The Secret of the Tomb (2014) that not everything is in his head.
Williams had outright panic attacks when he didn’t even remember his turns.
Memory problems plagued the actor. He feared he had dementia or schizophrenia. The fear was such that Williams became paranoid.
– I do not know whats happening. I’m no longer me, Williams told director Shawn Levy in the Night at the Museum filming.
– His mind didn’t work as before. Everything was weaker, Levy recalls.
In May 2014, both the comedian and his loved ones believed they had found a cause for mental problems. They diagnosed him with Parkinson’s disease. However, according to Williams, the description of the disease did not match his symptoms.
Williams also suffered from severe abdominal pain, constipation, sleep problems, tremors, and joint stiffness. Williams could stiffen in place in the middle of the walk. The symptoms made Williams even more depressed.
Williams ’behavior changed and the couple ended up sleeping in different rooms.
– Robin asked me if we were divorced now. It was a creepy moment. There had been a huge gap between us that was not based on reality, the widow recalls.
Williams eventually killed himself.
The cause of his symptoms was revealed in Lewy’s body, LBD, which is one form of dementia.
– I am pleased that the disease is the name Susan Schneider says Williams.
Source: Aftonbladet, Daily Mail.