What Spain has a problem with the goal is a no-brainer, but not a recent problem. Since the withdrawal of the selection of David Villa, La Roja has not found an offensive reference, an attacking player who is capable of materializing the chances created, which has caused the elimination of the national team in one tournament after another since 2012.
In the last world, in 2018, Spain gave more than a thousand passes in the round of 16 match against Russia, but all that dominance did not turn into goals and the team then led by Fernando Hierro had to pack their bags for home. It is an example of the problem of the current team, which was revealed again against Ukraine on Wednesday. 21 times Luis Enrique’s team shot to goal in Kiev, eight of them between sticks, also having 72% of the possession. The result? Zero goals.
One of the best news in recent La Roja matches has been the emergence of Adama traore, a winger who constantly wins the baseline and who does not stop feeding balls to the forwards. However, not a single one was taken advantage of, the absence of a classic nine, a finisher, was more evident than ever.
Luis Enrique You have nine months to decide which strikers you will take to the Euro 2021, and right now the only thing clear is that there are no nine who have broken the door down. Gerard Moreno seems to have taken the lead, while Rodrigo’s option is not convincing due to his poor scoring efficiency. Iago Aspas has gone on other occasions and although he has a goal and talent, he is not a finisher. Perhaps the hope is Morata, who responds to the profile of a pure center forward, but his performance in Turin will have to be seen.
The rest of the Spanish strikers are what they are, and the photo on the right shows what the alternatives are white on black. The numbers make it clear that Luis Enrique calls, in general, who deserves it. There’s no more.
The ‘casting’ of forwards: the options that Luis Enrique has
- Rodrigo Moreno | Leeds | Goals League 2019/20: 4.
High quality, little goal, defines the Spanish game like no one else. She trusts him a lot.
- Gerard Moreno | Villarreal | Goals League 2019/20: 18.
His figures are good, right now he is the best placed to be the 9 of the Red.
- Iago Aspas | Celtic | Goals League 2019/20: 14.
Few understand its absence from the last list. Talent and used to pulling the car.
- Paco Alcacer | Villarreal | German Goals-League 2019/20: 9.
12 goals in 19 games for La Roja make his effectiveness clear. Forward pure and with smell.
- Alvaro Morata | Juventus / Goals League 2019/20: 12.
You need to regain LE’s trust. To do this, it must be claimed in Juventus.
- Mikel Oyarzábal | Real Sociedad / Goals 2019/20: 10.
It’s not a pure nine, but that’s where Lucho put him against Switzerland. Young, with quality and experience
- Diego Costa | Athletic / Goals 2019/20: 5.
Clearly on the downhill slope of his career, Luis Enrique hasn’t called him once.
- Iñaki Williams | Athletic | Goals 2019/20: 6.
Power but without a goal. At 26, it’s time to take a step forward in your career.
- Borja Iglesias | Betis / Goals 2019/20: 3.
The Panda disappointed last season. It must show that it is a 9 with a lot of goal.
- Jaime Mata | Getafe | Goals League 2019/20: 9.
Robert Moreno gave him the alternative in La Roja. His performance dropped last year.
- Borja Mayoral | AS Roma / Goles Liga 2019/20: 8.
He has gone to Rome for minutes. Star of the sub-21, he has yet to make the jump to the absolute.
- Loren Moron | Betis / Goals Liga 2019/20: 10.
New pure and with goal. It must be consolidated in the 11 of Betis before thinking about the Red.
- Roger marti | Levante / Goals League 2019/20: 11.
Again he surpassed ten goals last year. Enough for the Red? Not seem.
- Mariano Diaz | Real Madridis / Goals 2019/20: 1.
There are no nine purer than him. In Marseille he triumphed, but not in Madrid. It takes minutes.
- Angel Rodriguez | Getafe / Goals League 2019/20: 10.
The player with the best goals / minute ratio came to ring for Barça. You need to be a starter.
- Lucas Perez | Alavés / Goals League 2019/20: 11.
He has rediscovered football in Vitoria although the national team sounds distant.
- Carlos Fernandez | Sevilla / Goals League 2019/20: 10.
He left in Granada but has no place in Seville. 24 years and an interesting future.
- Alvaro Negredo | Cádiz / Goals Emir. Arabs 2019/20: 8.
Will a second youth live in Cádiz at 35? The Red train has already passed for him.
- Fernando llorente | Naples / Calcio Goals 2019/20: 3.
If you are looking for an auctioneer, the Rioja is perfect. Outcast in Naples, he needs minutes.
- Raúl de Tomás | Espanyol / Goals Liga 2019/20: 4.
It would not be the first time that a ‘Second’ goes to the selection. Will you continue at Espanyol in January?