A 13-year-old boy died last August in Florida after having contracted the call amoeba ‘comecerebros’ while swimming in a lake, reports the chain CBS.
The boy, Tanner Lake WallHe was on vacation with his family in the upstate and after two days of swimming in the lake, he began to feel bad. She began to suffer from nausea, vomiting and severe headaches, as well as a stiff neck.
He was initially diagnosed with meningitis, until tests were performed and it was discovered that he had contracted the Naegleria fowleri, better known as the ‘brain-eating’ amoeba.
The child’s brain stopped working and eventually, his parents they disconnected the machine that was keeping him alive.
Now, Tanner’s parents are trying to educate the public to exercise caution when bathing in temperate waters like rivers or lakes, between the months of July and September.