At least 10 people have died and dozens remain Missing in the wake of Typhoon Molave, the most powerful to hit Vietnam in the last two decades, authorities said Thursday.
Search and rescue efforts focus on Tra Lengin the central province of Quand Nam, where more than 40 people are feared trapped in a landslide on Wednesday afternoon.
The difficulty of access to the area complicates the operation during a day that registers heavy rainfall and in the face of the threat of new avalanches, says the VNExpress medium today.
Another avalanche of mud and stones, in Tra Van and about 20 kilometers south of the previous one, caused the death of seven people and one remains missing, according to the latest count by the authorities.
The typhoon made landfall in Quand Nam around 12:00 local time (5:00 GMT Thursday) and headed to the northwest of the country, causing the destruction of hundreds of houses and two fatalities as they fell from their rooftops as they tried to prepare for the arrival of the Molave, reports the local portal Vietnam News.
In the neighboring province of Gia Lai, a man died when a wall of the house collapsed on him in which he had taken refuge.
Meanwhile, two boats with 26 fishermen have been missing since Tuesday, when contact was lost with them as they tried to return to shore to avoid the typhoon.
More than half a million people are in evacuation centers prepared before the arrival of Molave, who had already left 16 dead and four missing as he passed through the Philippines.
The provinces affected by the typhoon have been suffering the constant hit of three consecutive storms for a month (Molave is the fourth), whose floods and avalanches had already caused 130 deaths and 20 disappeared.